March 23, 2020
Leadership Update Regarding COVID-19
The last few months have unexpectedly presented a life-threatening global health threat that has arrived in the United States and Canada. We are all monitoring the effects of COVID-19 by weeding through daily email advisories, constant TV and radio news reports, and other relevant postings. As our daily routines are disrupted and social outlets are restricted, we are all trying to adapt to a new way of life both personally and professionally as this threat is addressed and eventually subsides.
"Actively Caring" has been a safety standard at The Walsh Group for many years, which applies most seriously now during this health crisis to our employees and their families; and of course to our partners, customers and neighbors as well.
The Walsh Group has put plans in place to keep our people safe and to continue service to our valued customers, including the following measures which will continue to be monitored as circumstances evolve:
• The Walsh Group is committed to help our communities get through this pandemic and appreciate your help and understanding during these challenging times. We are doing our part to do the right thing and to complete the projects that are essential to saving lives and to flatten the contagion curve.
• Walsh is open and has taken measures to do so in every office and at every project where legally possible.
• Walsh is making sure that first and foremost our people are safe while being keenly mindful that we are providing a critical service to our customers.
• All of our customers have been contacted by us to coordinate safety programs and jobsite protocols while prioritizing projects essential to the general welfare and national economy.
• Walsh has over 1,000 management staff working from home.
• Walsh has another 1,000 management staff working on rotation at jobsites and from home.
• Our Water Group continues to build projects, remodel, update and maintain facilities vital to keeping essential water and wastewater flowing in our major cities.
• Our Transportation Group is opening highways and bridges that allow trucks to transport the goods necessary to feed our people and supply the hospitals.
• Our Buildings Group has accelerated projects at labs across the country, including a manufacturing plant in Nebraska where they make the kit to test for the virus.
• Of special note, our Healthcare Group is working around the clock in many hospital locations to open Emergency Rooms, ICUs, and other critical facilities.
• At our Chicago and Atlanta headquarters, and all of our Regional Offices, we have small administrative staff on rotating duty to maintain essential services, which we will continue to monitor while encouraging separation and working-from-home where possible.
• We have complied a useful list of websites that provide factual information and useful strategies:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Coronavirus Disease 2019 Managing Anxiety and Stress
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) Tips For Social Distancing, Quarantine, And Isolation During An Infectious Disease Outbreak
- Mental Health America, Mental Health And COVID-19, Information And Resources.
We are keeping an open line of communication to all our employees, our customers, our partners and all of their families. Times like this call for leadership and direction. We will continue to communicate as this situation continues to change. We ask that everyone stays safe and looks out for each other.
A final reminder to wash your hands and exercise social distancing!