Our company has many traditions; one of the most treasured was passed down by Matthew Myles Walsh II to his sons (Co-Chairmen Matt and Dan Walsh) - placing a Miraculous Medal in the first concrete pour of every new project.
As children, Matt and Dan would accompany their father to new job sites and place a Miraculous Medal in the wet concrete. The Medal was an inspiration for the workers to finish the job safely and to make it as miraculous as the Medal itself. As our company grows, sustaining traditions can be difficult, but our leadership team strongly feels it is important to continue this tradition because it is a constant reminder of devotion to a project, a job site, a company, and a family.
Miraculous Medals have been recently placed at the following project sites:
Fowler Wastewater Treatment Plant - Fowler, GA
The Sheridan at Park Ridge - Park Ridge, IL
650 E. Stonewall - Charlotte, NC
1326 S. Michigan Avenue - Chicago, IL
University of Texas Medical Branch - Galveston, TX
Luke 303 Water Reclamation Facility - Phoenix, AZ
University of Notre Dame School of Architecture - Notre Dame, IN
Vassar Brothers Medical Center - Poughkeepsie, NY
History of the Medal
The medal of the Immaculate Conception, commonly called the Miraculous Medal, was given to Sister (now Saint) Catherine Laboure, a spiritual daughter of St. Louise de Marillac and St. Vincent de Paul. This took place in the chapel of the Motherhouse of the Daughters of Charity, 140 Rue du Bac, Paris, France.
In 1830, Mary appeared to Sister Catherine and requested of her: “Have a medal struck on this model, the persons who wear it with confidence will receive great graces.” The metal was made and freely circulated and in a short time was worn by millions. Innumerable wonders and miracles took place—health was restored, sickness banished, bad habits broken, special graces given, dangers averted, blessings bestowed—until the little medal became known by the name it bears today, the Miraculous Medal.