Walsh Headquarters is LEED Platinum
The Walsh Headquarters Campus Expansion, which began on March 17, 2010, is now finished with the completion of the 307 S. Sangamon building. From start to finish the new building is a shining example of The Walsh Group’s continuing commitment to environmentally responsible buildings and construction projects. What began with an abandoned three-story warehouse is now an impressive four-story 93,401 gross square foot building that is LEED Platinum certified thanks to several green processes and technologies employed throughout the building. The New Walsh Headquarters Expansion has the 6th highest LEED points facility in the country and the highest points in Illinois to date.
- A white, PVC, Green Roof consisting of local vegetation covering 70% of the roof surface.
- A rainwater recovery process that filters into the building’s plumbing and irrigation systems.
- An efficient cooling and heating system that adjusts to the local environment.
- Integrated lighting and shade control which adapts to the exterior lighting conditions.
- A glass atrium and staircase which allow natural light to pour into the building.
- A retired 1950’s Walsh Construction Bulldozer on display in the atrium.
- Exposed brick found throughout the building which was recycled from the building’s original exterior - a restored 1918 building.
- All finishes put into this facility have low or no VOC contents.
- Over 50% of the wood products used in the building are composed of recycled material.
- Electrical vehicle charging station.
- Bike racks and showers for commuters are available in the building.
- Rainwater recovery process.
- During construction 95% of waste was recycled. Additionally, local suppliers and vendors were used as a way to eliminate a harmful environmental impact caused by long distance shipping.
- The Walsh Group was ranked the 13th Largest US Green Contractor by ENR in 2011 and continues to dedicate itself to green practices.
- The original building served as an automobile showroom and a facility for Chicago Paper Tube & Can Co.
Approximately 75% of the original building structure was retained.