Walsh Construction’s rise to preeminence in the construction business began with the arrival of Matthew Myles Walsh in Chicago in 1893. He came to the city to be a carpenter in the World’s Fair. Five years later, Walsh Construction was founded in Matthew’s garage. Over the next few decades, the company established itself as a small but well-regarded Chicago building contractor. Walsh survived the difficulties of the great depression, and in 1955 the company had almost ten employees and established its headquarters at the intersection of Archer and Western. By 1970, the company’s earnings had grown to $1M per year, and Matthew’s two sons took the reins. In 1979, Walsh landed its first heavy civil job. Today, as the fourth generation of Walshs assume key leadership positions, the company continues to play an important role in the ever changing face of Chicago.