The Walsh Group has adopted the Lean philosophy in pursuit of continuous quality improvement including the elimination of waste and any non-value added elements throughout the design and construction process. Lean Project Delivery is a culture and a way of thinking. It is not learned overnight, it requires a focus on the quality improvement through increased efficiency and productivity. Success ultimately resides in the people and the culture of the organization. The Walsh Group has begun our Lean Transformation.
INTEGRATED PROJECT TEAM
- Owner Design Team, Contractor, and Subcontractors collaborate on the design and construction process from start to completion of project.
- Integrated Team continually collaborating through the construction process resulting in reduced schedule and reduced cost.
- Multi discipline / Cross functional review teams inspire new ideas.
- Integrated team continually working to improve the design concepts to meet the project’s guiding principles.
JUST IN TIME
- Schedule material deliveries at the last responsible moment directly to the installation point.
- Avoid double handling and all non value added motions.
- Determine the final end of day Final Project Cost.
- Owner, Design Team, Contractor, and Major Subcontractors manage the design process together to stay in budget.
- If additional costs or sunforeseen conditions arise then find an equivalent value added solution. (perhaps a previous design set)
PULL PLANNING METHODS
- Include the entire construction team, including subcontractors and vendors, to collaborate on the construction schedule.
- Pull tasks through the schedule by determining what each contractor needs completed before they can begin.
- At the beginning of the Project analyze the schedule from the end to the beginning to eliminate idle time.
- Reduce Cycle times to increase Productivity.
SET BASED DESIGN
- Determine the Client’s Guiding Principles.
- Develop multiple Concept Designs.
- Cross discipline review teams review designs to score against Guiding Principles.
- Select the best design to move forward with at the last responsible moment.
- Owner, Design Team, Contractor co-located onsite in one trailer.
- Instantaneous solutions that avoid delay.
- Allows Design and Construction team to “Go to the Gemba” (the place where the work is done) if details or ideas need to be reviewed.
- Forces Owners, Design Teams and Contractor to work towards common goal.